Common Household Products Can Keep Carved Pumpkins | Culture & Leisure

0

Creative pumpkin carving is one of the funniest parts of the Halloween season. Unfortunately, carved pumpkin creations mold and rot quickly. Here is a home remedy to keep your pumpkin in peak condition.

To begin with, it is important to note that whatever solution you use, very carefully coat the surface and the inside of the pumpkin. If any part is left untreated, rot and mold could still grow and spread to other areas.

The easiest and most effective way to treat a pumpkin is to simply use three common household products: bleach, petroleum jelly, and borax.

The bleach should be carefully smeared on all surfaces of the pumpkin or to kill bacteria that would normally cause rot. Don’t forget to also have the mouth and the eye holes!

After the bleach has dried somewhat, petroleum jelly should be applied to the inside of the pumpkin to prevent further drying out, as this can be an unwanted side effect if this step is not taken.

For an optional last step, borax can be placed on interior surfaces after petroleum jelly. This helps prevent bugs that could still infiltrate.

And that’s all it takes! Keep those jack-o’-lanterns in shape with these simple steps. Visit chemistry.about.com for more pumpkin conservation ideas.


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply